Elihu Penquite Smith
This page is part of the Genealogy Research being done by Samuel Antonio Minter. It represents the best information I have at this time on this individual. This site is a Wiki open to be edited by anyone. If you see errors, or have additional relevant information, feel free to update this page. If you are not comfortable editing the page directly, please email me with the information at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
- Date: 4 Mar 1804
- Location: Pauline, Spartanburg, SC, USA
- William F Smith (b 1834)
- Eliphas G Smith (b 4 Feb 1836)
- Ralph H Smith (b 2 Jan 1838)
- Christian Eber Smith
- Minnie Smith (b 29 Dec 1842)
- Kate Smith
- Elihu P Smith (b 19 Aug 1845)
- Elizabeth "Bessie" M Smith (b 26 Sep 1847 in SC, d 26 Jul 1914, married William H Frazier
- Minor W Smith (b Mar 1852)
- Glenn Springs, Spartanburg, SC, USA (1870)
- Date: 21 Apr 1878
- Was a Major, his gravestone is marked as such
- Sold some property to Robbert Morrow in 1849
- In 1849 Elihu made a public apology:
- TO THE PUBLIC
- Justice to myself requires that I Should state how it was that I came to tell DR. OTTERSON what I did. We were conversing upon matters which, from their nature, required or at least in my opinion, excused me in telling what I did, believing it to be true, when I told Dr. Otterman of it. For the report, that G.A. SMITH has spit in COL. FOSTER'S face, had been for years in circulation, and I had never heard it contradicted, from which fact, I believed the report to be true. But, I did not tell it to Dr. Otterman with the intent to injure Col. Foster. If Col. Foster or the public require it of me, I am prepared to give all the circumstances from which the report originated. On the other hand, justice to Col. Foster demands of me to say, that G.A. SMITH'S certificate now satisfied me that he did not spit in Col. Foster's face.
- Nov. 12th, 1849. ELIHU P. SMITH
- Rootsweb Index to History of Spartanburg, SC Page 7
- Linder Cemetary Listing by W. D. Floyd (link now broken)
- More Cemetary listings by W. D. Floyd (link now broken)
- Spartanburg, SC probate records by Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson
- Rootsweb SCEDGEFI Discussion Archive
- Rootsweb "Trail - Lassus - Hartley" Elihu Penquite Smith Page
- Email from email@example.com 2006-09-23 15:41:38 UTC including Smith2.tif and Smith1.tif
- Rootsweb "Beach-Moorman Family Tree, Release 7"
- I think the Elihu P. Smith listed in the W. D Floyd listings is a different Elihu P Smith, because all the dates are off by a few decades. Including them as reference here in case that needs to be re-examined in the future. It seems somewhat unlikely that there would be two Elihu P Smith's in South Carolina at roughtly the same time, so this should probably be investigated further. Especially since this cemetary is only 20 miles from Spartanburg. If this turns out to be the same Elihu then it would indicate a second marriage after Christina's death... and Elihu living another 20+ years after the rootsweb date of death. All in all, seems more likely to be a second person.
- The Probate records give Elihu's father William's will, which makes Elihu Penquite and his brother John Winn executors of the estate.
- Rootsweb gives both 3 Mar and 4 Mar as birthdays. I am going with 4 Mar as it is footnoted and has the birth location as well.
- The handwritten document sent by William Maynard Minter gives a birthdate of 9 Mar 1804 rather than 4 Mar 1804. Since 9 and 4 are easily subject to transcription errors, either could easily be correct. This document also gives a death date of 23 Apr 1878 rather than 21 Apr 1878.