James Raymond Wootton
This page is part of the Genealogy Research being done by Samuel Antonio Minter. It represents the best information I have at this time on this individual. This site is a Wiki open to be edited by anyone. If you see errors, or have additional relevant information, feel free to update this page. If you are not comfortable editing the page directly, please email me with the information at email@example.com. Thank you!
- Date: 20 Aug 1850
- Location: KY, USA
With Susan Catherine Groves:
- Archie E J Wootton (b 7 Nov 1873, d 1880)
- E A Wootton (b 9 Apr 1875)
- Alfred T Wootton (b 21 Jun 1887)
- William Maynard Wootton
- Central City, KY, USA
- Susan Catherine Groves (married 14 Feb 1873 in Muhlenberg CO, KY)
- Date: UNKNOWN
- Was the sheriff of Central City, KY
- Was known as "The Little Sheriff"
- Was known for his "smarts" in catching the crooks
- He had bloodhounds who helped him track criminals who were trained to eat from no one else so nobody would poison them
- William Maynard Wootton page on this wiki
- Mary Sue Wootton 2005-12-16 Packet Page 13
- Mary Sue Wootton 2005-12-16 Packet Page 17
- Mary Sue Wootton 2005-12-16 Packet Page 38
- Rootsweb "Blough, Gish, Jamison, Lackey, Long, Lucore, Malloch,Murdock, Switzer, Wolf & related"
- Rootsweb "Jagoe"
- Rootsweb "Gish"
- Mary Sue Wootton 2005-12-16 Packet Page 5
- Email from firstname.lastname@example.org 2005-12-13 18:19:35 UTC
- Email from email@example.com 2007-01-29 17:36:33 UTC
- Email from firstname.lastname@example.org 2007-01-29 17:41:17 UTC
- Rootsweb sources give name as "Wooten"
- Wife sometimes listed as "Sue Katherine" rather than "Susan Catherine"
- The sword, scabbard, belt, sash and hat worn by James Raymond Wootton in the picture shown in Mary Sue Wootton 2005-12-16 Packet Page 5 are currently in the care of William Maynard Minter, one of JRM's Great Grandsons
- Inferring Kentucky birth as both William H Wootton and William Maynard Wootton were born in Kentucky, and he was married in Kentucky. I do not have a direct reference to birth in Kentucky.
- Mary Sue Wootton notes that James Raymond Wootton and Susan Catherine Groves were both dead before she was born, which would put the date of death before 1918, but as I don't have a specific date I'm not filling out the date of death at this time.
- Mary Sue Wootton speculates that the fraternal organization that James Raymond Wootton was a part of was "Mason or Knights Templar" but I believe this is incorrect. The symbols on the uniform do not seem to be Masonic, and of course the Knights Templar ceased to exit (at least officially) in 1307 or so. (Although she probably meant the Masonic Knights Templar which is still around.) I believe the organization he belonged to was a different fraternal organization, but so far I haven't figured out which one and it is certainly possible it was a sub-order of the Freemasons with different symbols in use.
- According to Mary Sue Wootton at some point moved to be near a priest which she speculates means he was Catholic but I have nothing else on this so for the moment I'll leave this in the notes rather than the biography.
- Posted on Abulsme.com on 30 Jan 2007